Sports Series – 6
Stephen Curry Ethnicity
Stephen Curry was born on 14th March 1988 in Akron Ohio, but grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina. Stephen Curry’s ethnicity has been a bone of contention due to his light skin. His dad is African-American decent and his mom is African American Creole and Haitian ethnic background from both parents.
Stephen Curry is the oldest son of a former NBA player Dell Curry.
He learned the basics of the game by watching and practicing with his dad.
But it was his mother Sonya (a 1st division volleyball player) who ingrained in him the basic traits of hard work and discipline, as his father was out perennially with the team playing games.
Stephen Curry Family
- Curry has two siblings, Sydel- his sister who went on to become a volleyball player at Elon University.
- While his younger brother Seth Curry, too took up a career in professional basketball after starring with Duke University.
- Stephen Curry married Ayesha Alexander (born 23rd Mar’89 in Toronto) his college sweetheart on 30th July, 2011. She is an entrepreneur and former actress known for her role in Ballers series on HBO and as the host on Ayesha’s Home Kitchen on Food Network.
- Stephen and Ayesha have two daughters and a son. Riley, born on 19th July’12 and Ryan, born on 10th July’15. Almost exactly three years later on 4th July’18 they welcomed their son Canon W Jack.
Stephen Curry Accolades
Stephen Curry was enlisted by Golden state in 2009 and that propelled him into an ace pro basketball star with his impressive shooting skills.
He was bestowed with the Most Valuable Player honors and helped the Warriors win the NBA championship in 2015, Curry led them to a league-record of 73 wins the next season.
Curry became the first player in May’16 to be named MVP by a unanimous vote in NBA history.
He is the only player among 11 others to win the MVP award two years in a row. Curry then helped the Warriors win over the Cleveland Cavaliers and bag the NBA title in 2017 and ’18.
- Stephen Curry has a net worth of $90 million as of 2019. Curry signed a four-year contract extension with Golden State Warriors in 2012.
- Curry’s $12.1 million yearly salary garnered him the 85th-highest paid NBA player for 2016-17 season.
- But he bounced back in June 2017 and made up for his penurious bargaining and to create NBA’s highest-paid contract ever: a $201 million salary over five years through the 2020-21 season.
- Forbes estimated Curry had made $76.9 million for the 2017-18 season, which is grossly higher than the earlier year’s $47.3 million estimate.
- Curry’s Golden State salary nearly tripled from $34.7 to $12.1 million last year, and then he added another enormous endorsement deal in the latter year.
Curry has signed other endorsement deals with Under Armour, JPMorgan Chase, Brita, Vivo and PressPlay.
From his days as a student at Davidson, Curry involved himself with the United Nations Foundation “Nothing But Nets” campaign.
In this campaign insecticide-treated mosquito nets are being distributed across Africa to combat malaria.
Stephen the quintessential NBA star is also involved in raising funds for schools through the Stephen Curry Foundation and ensures to host a pair of charity golf events annually.
Stephen Curry – Unanimous Media
Curry baptized his newly formed production company, as Unanimous Media, during April 2018. He announced the signing of a deal with Sony Pictures Entertainment. With the arrangement in place, it gave Sony first-look rights at Unanimous’ film and TV projects. The media house will reportedly focus on faith, family and sports-related content. Stephen Curry’s ethnicity and faith led to him to this decision.
“I have been blessed bountifully to have this stage set for me. I want to ensure to use it positively. Partnering with Sony and to share inspiring content on a global level is a blessing in disguise.” said Stephen Curry.